Friday, April 21, 2006

Maddy goes to Italy


I've always wanted to see Italy, and now I'm going! Friends of mine invited me to join them in celebrating a 50th birthday there. At first I was being very "white girl" and fearing spending the money. Then, a friend who worked for Delta offered to give me her "buddy pass" which would allow me to go on standby for just the airport taxes and fees. That made me ask for the time off and go ahead and plan. Well, I got the time off, so then I just needed to work out the travel details. As it worked out, the planes were nearly full as of three weeks ago, so I bit the bullett and bought a regular air fare ticket. I'm very glad that I did that because the cost has risen and there are currently only two seats available on the whole plane according to the website. I ended up spending some money, but I won't have to worry about getting bumped and trying to meet up with my pals. I'm really excited! I've never been to Europe. I got some Italian tapes and Mom got me an audio program from Audible.com that I've been using. So far I can clearly say "I don't understand Italian" and "I don't know". Everything else will come soon, I'm sure.

The plan is to spend two days in Rome (April 29 and 30), train to Positano and stay there for 6 days to loaf on the beach and visit Pompeii, etc. and then return to Rome for two days before heading home. It will be a short trip so I'm glad we're not trying to do too much. I will try to send e-mails on occasion, but that will depend on a lot of things. I will certainly send photos when I get back.


Bill and Django are considering going on a road trip while I'm gone. Bill will also work on the VW truck because he'll have the Honda to use to get around with.

Here's where we'll be in Positano. You might note the arrow directing you to our little "residense".

1 comment:

Hayden said...

Very cool! And the followup telling us all about your adventure? it's still not too late!